Who is Haruna Iikubo?
Haruna Iikubo is a Japanese pop music (idol singer) and sub-leader of Morning Musume 17 (formerly Morning Musume) along with 9th generation member Mizuki Fukumura. Haruna was born on November 7, 1994 in Tokyo. Haruna Iikubo is also a former gravure model and movie actress. She got into the entertainment industry in 2009 when she won an award at the auditions for the fashion magazine called Love Berry. Her first appearance as a model was in the June 2009 issue. Beginning in July 2009, Iikubo would adopt the stage name of Dan Hau. Iikubo eventually would stop modeling for the magazine in February 2011.
Haruna Iikubo And Her Early Career
It would be on September 29, 2011 that Iikubo was selected from the 10th generation audition to join Morning Musume along with Ayumi Ishida, Masaki Sato, and Haruka Kudo. These girls made their official presentation on the same day in which they were announced as members during a concert that was dedicated to Ai Takahashi. Takahashi would graduate from Morning Musume in April 2011 and then hand the leadership duties of the group to Risa Niigaki. The girls took part in the performance of the song called Tomo. They would also sing the last song of the concert Namidacchi. In 2012, Iikubo’s career as an actress began when she and all of the members of the 9th and 10th generation were chosen to star in a stage play called Stacey’s Shoujo Saisatsu Kageki. The stage play would run from June 6-12 of 2012. Their co-star in that play was Reina Tanaka.
Reina Tanaka was a part of the sixth generation of members with Miki Fujimoto, Sayumi Michishige, and Eri Kamei. On July 20, 2012, it was revealed that Iikubo along with Maimi Yajima, Chinami Tokunaga, Saki Nakajima, and Berryz Koubou member Miyabi Natsuyaki were chosen to become a part of the group known as DIY Love. They released a single on November 7, 2012 which was also Iikubo’s 18th birthday. On July 30, 2012, Iikubo’s color was changed to Honey. Every Morning Musume member is assigned a color. Haruna’s interest in Morning Musume came from a very early age. When she was in elementary school, she drew pictures of Sayumi Michishige, Risa Niigaki and of herself. So it is fair to say that Haruna got her wish of being a part of the group and fulfilled her dream. The group’s producer TSUNKU says that he hopes that Iikubo can make Morning Musume even more stylish and cute.
Haruna Iikubo: 2013-Present
Beginning in April 2013, Haruna Iikubo would also start being involved in radio shows. She took over as one of the hosts for the show Young Town replacing Aika Mitsui. Mitsui had graduated from Morning Musume in May 2012 due to an ankle injury that she had sustained. This injury did not allow her to perform on stage. In May 2013, during the graduation concert of Reina Tanaka Iikubo and Fukumura were announced as sub-leaders of Morning Musume. This was the first time that there were two sub-leaders in Morning Musume. Fukumura would release her first solo photo book called MIZUKI in May 2013 which would be shot in Guam. On November 7, 2013, Iikubo was given the opportunity to hold a special birthday event to celebrate her 19 years of life. The event had two performances at Tokyo’s FM Hall. Attending this birthday event were Ayumi Ishida and Sakura Oda. On July 31, 2014, Iikubo was chosen to be a special guest on the live program for the Zelda Musou (Hyrule Warriors). It was during the event that Iikubo talked about the Zelda series and even played a demo of them.
On January 28, 2017, Iikubo will release her first solo photo book called Haruiro.
Video releases and photo books put out by Haruna
Haruna Iikubo has also released two DVD’s. The first one which was released on August 31, 2012 is called Greeting Iikubo Haruna. The second one is more of a collaborative effort and it is called Alo Hello! Morning Musume 9 10ki DVD. It features all the members of the 9th and 10th generations including Erina Ikuta, Kanon Suzuki, and Riho Sayashi. That DVD was released in January 2013. Haruna‘s photo book releases are as follows:
- September 2012 Morning Musume 9 10ki 1st official photo book
- January 2013 Alo Hello! Morning Musume 10ki photo book
- September 2013 Morning Musume 15th Anniversary photo book ZERO
- May 2014 Michishige Camera 13-14
Other facts about Haruna Iikubo
- Haruna Iikubo has two younger sisters, one of them being nine years younger than her.
- Her grandmother is a florist.
- When Haruna was born, her father was only 19 years old.
- Her hobbies are shopping and reading.
- She has several favorite colors which include pink, black, red, orange, and light blue.
- Haruna is skilled at arranging flowers, staring at people during contests and even making her stomach rumble!
- Her favorite foods are ramen, chocolate, takoyaki, and okonomiyaki.
- She looks up to Morning Musume leader Sayumi Michishige and Momoko Tsugunaga, formerly of the idol group Berryz Kobo.
- She likes to say that hard work always pays off.
- Haruna’s motto in life is each day, 100 good deeds.
- Her life philosophy is being slim.
- Haruna believes that she can never lose at being positive.
- If she were not a member of Morning Musume, Haruna says that she would work as a maid in a maid café.
- When she was in high school, she wrote that she wanted to be in Morning Musume. That was her career choice.
- Haruka Kudo called her Meshi by mistake because she (Kudo) had forgotten her nickname and it had been written on her shirt.
- She has a very close relationship with Ayumi Ishida and current member of S/mileage Ayaka Wada.
- Iikubo considers Mizuki Fukumura as her biggest rival.
- She is famous for her long, straight hair.
- She has two pet cats.
- Haruna writes part of her blog posts in English by using a translator app.